Beata Canby – Opening an ASC: Managing the Regulatory and Certification Process
Here’s what to expect on this week’s episode. 🎙️
🎙 Understanding how the regulation and certification process work for new surgery centers can be very overwhelming. Rules change from state to state, specific certifications depend on others, and as Beata Canby likes to say – there are many cooks in the kitchen.
Beata is a principal and partner at LeftCoast Healthcare Advisors, and she joins us today to break down the entire process, including the fundamental agencies to know, what order to get your certifications in, and tips for speeding up the process and staying organized.
📝 Most notably, Beata shared the option to combine accreditation with #CMS certification to streamline and simplify the process. Here are ten steps to Deemed Status, which may occur simultaneously or in a slightly different order depending on your state.
1. Certificate of Occupancy
2. State Department of Health License (if applicable)
3. Apply for Facility NPI
4. Submit online applications for CMS & AAAHC (or other accrediting body)
5. Receive application approval
6. DEA license & CLIA Waiver
7. Perform 10 demonstration cases
8. Notification of on-site survey readiness
9. On-site, unannounced survey (must include a case observation)
10. Submit CMA/AAAHC Plan of Correction (if needed)
Interesting in learning more about opening a new surgery center? Check out our previous episodes:
Find the full episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or YouTube to hear all the details.
Don’t miss out on the good stuff – Subscribe to HST’s Blog & Podcast!
Every two weeks we’ll email you our newest blog posts. No fluff – just helpful content delivered right to your inbox.