Senior Content Marketing Manager
Ep. 11: Eliza Alberto-Widdowson – Bridging the Gap with Nursing Informatics | This Week in Surgery Centers
Here’s what to expect on this week’s episode. 🎙️
Nursing Informatics is not new, but as we continue to weave more technology into the patient’s journey, the need and interest are escalating.
If you can’t quite put your finger on precisely what Nursing Informatics is though – you’re certainly not alone.
Eliza Alberto-Widdowson is the Director of Nursing at Mann Cataract Surgery Center, and she is here breaking it down for us.
What is Nursing Informatics?
• Simply put – it’s integrating data and healthcare technology to enhance patient outcomes and reduce medical errors.
Why does it matter?
• Implementing new tech might be the best decision for your ASC, but if your staff isn’t comfortable using it, your patient care will ultimately suffer. Bridging the gap is critical.
• Nursing is both an art and a science. Combining a nurse’s firsthand experience and emotional intelligence with state-of-the-art tools they are well-trained on will ultimately achieve the best outcomes.
How can we address it?
• Educate yourself – take courses on Nursing Informatics and learn from your peers.
• When selecting any new equipment or technology, you must involve the staff members who will use it daily from the beginning of the decision-making process.
• Make sure that whatever new technology you select has a user-friendly interface.
• Training is vital – ensure your staff has ample training and time to learn new tools.
• Remind your team not to focus on the technology alone and lose the human element of caring for patients.
Find the full episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or YouTube to hear even more insights!
Don’t miss out on the good stuff – Subscribe to HST’s Blog & Podcast!
Every two weeks we’ll email you our newest blog posts. No fluff – just helpful content delivered right to your inbox.